Dental exams and cleanings
Are one of the most important parts of maintaining good oral health. Examination helps us to identify problems as early as possible and to treat them before more painful and serious damage occurs to the tooth. We highly recommend our patients schedule their appointment with our specialists at least twice per year to for their dental examinations and professional cleanings.
Your dentist will perform a thorough dental exam during your first dental visit. Regular visits will include:
- Diagnostic x-rays: they are necessary in order to detect tumors, tooth decay, bone loss or cysts. Moreover, they help to determine root positions and the quality of prior endodontic treatments. All in all, x-rays help to ascertain your mouth’s further treatment plan.
- Oral Cancer Screening: a preventative procedure, through which your neck, throat, face, lips, tissues, gums and tongue will be checked for any indications of oral cancer.
- Evaluation of gum disease: our specialists will examine your gums in order to signal periodontal disease at it’s earliest stage.
- Tooth decay examination: all the surfaces of the tooth will be carefully checked with special dental instruments in order to identify tooth caries before it makes a bigger damage to the tooth.
- Remaining restorations examination: your dentist will check existing crowns, fillings and other restorations in order to see if they are still good to remain in the mouth or if it requires being replaced.
Professional Dental Cleaning
This procedure is usually performed by a dental hygienist. During this appointment:
- The plaque on your teeth will be removed. Plaque contains a growing bacteria colony, which is fed by food debris. When the bacteria are fed, they produce toxins, which can cause periodontal disease by inflaming the gums.
- Tartar will be removed. When the plaque on the teeth hardens it results in tartar. Tartar can form below and above the gum line. Tartar can only be removed by special instruments. A professional cleaning is necessary because you can’t remove tartar yourself at home.
- Teeth will be polished. Special polishing material and equipment will be used in order to remove plaque and stains that were not already removed by scaling and tooth brushing.
Visit us at Orange County pediatric dental group to get your regular dental examination and professional teeth cleaning. Our staff will be happy to familiarize you with the correct maintenance of good oral hygiene and the importance of teeth brushing and flossing. Call us to schedule your appointment today: 714-972-1359